As many as one in six American adults suffer from headaches, according to the American Chiropractic Association (ACA). Unfortunately, many people believe they simply have to suffer in silence, or turn to synthetic pain killers to manage their headache-related pain.
Whether you experience daily migraines or are simply struggled with a little flash of head pain from time to time, headaches can seriously impact your quality of life. If you experience regular headaches, your productivity at work may suffer, and you may end up missing out on opportunities for professional and personal advancement.
There is a better way to deal with the pain and causes of chronic headaches; visiting your local chiropractor in Naples, FL! A chiropractor can diagnose the exact cause of your headache, and help you identify the best course of treatment for that particular ailment. There are a number of varying causes that could be the source of your headache, and it’s important to have a clear understanding of what’s causing your headache before treating it. Your chiropractor will provide you with a thorough, comprehensive diagnosis.
In between adjustments, your chiropractor in Naples, FL may also recommend a number of natural remedies that could help you keep your headaches under control. Some natural headache management techniques include the following:
- Keep it cool: If you’re suffering from a migraine, use a cold press to relieve pain in your forehead. Press your forehead for 15 minutes, and then give it a 15-minute break. This should seriously alleviate your migraine symptoms. Taking a cold shower can also help reduce migraine pain.
- Don’t over-chew: Eating chewy foods or spending too long with a stick of gum can wreak serious havoc on your teeth and your head. If you’re suffering from early-morning headaches, it could be the result of grinding your teeth at night. Ask your doctor or dentist about a prescription mouth guard.
- Dim the lights: Prolonged exposure to bright, artificial lights can cause serious headaches. Flickering lights, like those on computer and cell phone screens, are also notorious headache causers. If you have to spend extended periods of time under fluorescent lights or in front a screen, make a point of taking breaks every 15 minutes to go out into natural lighting.
- Massage can help: When you visit your chiropractor in Naples, FL for headache assistance, there’s a good chance that he’ll prescribe you a massage. Massage therapy is an excellent way to ease tension headaches, which tend to be caused by stress.
- Relax: Too much tension in the muscles surrounding the neck and cervical spine are usually to blame for headaches. Try your best to relax, whenever possible. Meditation may help—your chiropractor may also prescribe teas or essential oils that can help you reduce muscle tension.
Dr. Richard Hiler is a chiropractic neurologist in Naples, FL. If you’re suffering from headaches, reach out to Dr. Hiler’s office. He’ll help you diagnose and address your headaches and their causes. Contact Dr. Hiler today to learn more about potential headache treatments and more.