At Hiler Chiropractic & Neurology, we often get patients who are at the end of their rope due to chronic headaches. When traditional painkillers don’t work, our patients turn to us to treat the problem at its root.
About one in six Americans suffers from chronic headaches that don’t respond to over-the-counter or prescription painkillers. This can lead to loss of productivity as well as depression from constant pain, particularly for those suffering from severe chronic migraines.
Types of headaches
Common types of headaches include tension, migraine and cervicogenic. Depending on the kind of headaches you get, your chiropractor in Naples, FL will treat the underlying cause a bit differently:
- Tension headaches: Tension headaches present as a feeling of band-like tension around the skull.
- Migraine headaches: Migraine headaches often include excruciating pain on one side of the head, accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.
- Cervicogenic headaches: This type of headache is common when there’s a problem with the neck, but it manifests as pain in the face or skull. They can be triggered by an injury, and do not respond to medication.
How chiropractors treat headaches
Your chiropractor in Naples, FL may take a variety of different approaches depending on your specific circumstances. Possible approaches to treatment include:
- Manual therapy (adjustments): This is performed by using hands or an instrument to apply pressure or tapping to the spine. This may result in the spine making popping, clicking, or clunking sound as gas is released between the joints.
- Soft tissue therapy: This therapy can include massage with a focus on muscular trigger points, and is especially effective for migraines.
- Rehabilitation: Rehabilitation is effective when headaches are caused by old injuries. Often, this will include joint mobilization and other therapies designed to increase mobility and relaxation.
- Lifestyle changes: A good chiropractor will also help you identify and fix lifestyle issues that may be contributing to your headaches. Whether you’re working a desk job or are sleeping on the wrong pillow, taking extra care to identify the root causes will allow you to take a holistic approach to healing.
- Referral and co-management: There are some headaches that chiropractic treatment can’t handle alone. Your chiropractor can make referrals to other specialists in order to help you handle and manage your headaches.
Treat your headaches
When seeking chiropractic treatment for your chronic headaches, the most important thing to do is find a chiropractor in Naples, FL who’s able to combine several treatment methodologies to determine a strategy that alleviates your symptoms and helps you feel better. Identifying the right course of treatment may require time and patience, but it’s important to work with your care provider until they’re able to find the right combination of therapies for your needs.
Dr. Richard Hiler is a certified chiropractic neurologist practicing in Naples, FL. Since 2001, Hiler Chiropractic & Neurology has been helping patients pursue their best possible health outcomes. If you’re suffering from chronic headaches in Naples, FL, reach out to the office of Dr. Hiler today to learn how he can help you overcome your symptoms and live your best possible life.
Categorised in: Chiropractic Care