Carpal tunnel syndrome can have a measurable impact on daily living activities. This form of chronic pain can make it difficult to complete simple tasks like twisting a jar lid, buttoning a shirt and more. It can also make it very challenging to perform repetitive tasks, especially typing on a computer. Luckily, you don’t have to live with the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome. Here’s how a chiropractor can help.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a painful condition that develops when tissues in the wrist squeeze or compress one of the major nerves in the hand. While the severity and precise location of pain differs from person to person, pain is generally experienced in parts of the arm, hand and even up into the shoulder. Symptoms tend to worsen over time, and left untreated, carpal tunnel can cause permanent damage to the median nerve. It’s crucial to your current and future wellbeing to see a chiropractor to get the issue treated immediately.
A chiropractor can make an accurate diagnosis as to whether you’re suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. This is difficult for the average person, since it’s almost impossible to pinpoint what exactly caused the problem. Since experienced chiropractors have a deep understanding of nerve entrapment syndromes like carpal tunnel syndrome, chiropractic intervention is your best chance for relieving symptoms of carpal tunnel pain.
Chiropractors address the underlying causes of carpal tunnel syndrome in order to treat it. Here are some of the most common causes that are not linked to underlying medical conditions:
- Poor positioning of your wrists while using machinery or computer keyboards and mouses
- Prolonged exposure to vibration of tools, including hand tools and power tools
- Repeated movement that overextends the wrist
- Spinal problems, particularly in your upper spine
There are many treatment options your chiropractor may suggest to alleviate your symptoms, including the following:
- If the cause of your carpal tunnel syndrome lies in your spine, chiropractic care will focus on relieving pressure on the nerve.
- If the cause of your carpel tunnel syndrome is the result of pressure at the carpal tunnel, gentle manipulation of the wrist or elbow is the most common solution.
- Regardless of the root cause of carpal tunnel syndrome, massage and other therapies may be recommended to reduce inflammation, pain and numbness. Regular treatment by a chiropractor relaxes muscles and provides rapid relief from carpal tunnel symptoms.
- Your chiropractor may also suggest special exercises like wrist extension stretches, wrist flexion stretches and medial nerve glides to reduce pain and numbness. Many exercises help the median nerve glide through the carpal tunnel, improving your range of motion and overall hand function.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can have a major effect on your overall quality of life, but it doesn’t have to be that way. A chiropractor offers targeted solutions to alleviate your chronic pain. Contact Hiler Chiropractic & Neurology/ Feel Amazing Institute today to discover natural solutions to carpal tunnel syndrome.