Neurologists treat disorders of the nervous system, brain, spinal cord, nerves and muscles. Unfortunately, there are more than 600 types of neurological diseases, including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and strokes, and these diseases cause patients a great deal of pain and long-term suffering. This makes finding a course of treatment that can ease a patient’s pain critical to improving their quality of life. Fortunately, the professionals at Hiler Chiropractic & Neurology are dedicated to doing just that. Here’s a closer look at some of the basic elements of neurology in Naples, FL:
- Conditions a neurologist treats: A neurologist treats conditions including but not limited to Alzheimer’s disease, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, back pain, brain and spinal cord injury or infection, brain tumors, epilepsy, headaches, multiple sclerosis, peripheral neuropathy, pinched nerves, seizures, strokes and tremors. Treatment is different for each condition and neurologists will need to conduct tests to evaluate the best path for treatment.
- Examination: To receive proper treatment, it is important to conduct a thorough examination to identify if the problem stems from the brain or nervous system, and, by extension, which disorder the patient has. Considering neurology is a vast field, the tests can be extensive. A neurologist will test the patient’s vision, strength, coordination, memory, reasoning and puzzle-solving abilities, reflexes and ability to feel physical objects, smell odors and hear sounds. Essentially, it’s an evaluation of your nervous system, and it is not painful.
- Treating peripheral neuropathy: Peripheral neuropathy categorizes the conditions that result when nerves in the brain and spinal cord are damaged or diseased, causing impaired muscle movement, lack of sensation in the arms and legs, weakness and/or pain. To treat patients, Hiler Chiropractic & Neurology uses a low-level infrared light therapy. It works by improving circulation and boosting your body’s natural healing capabilities to heal and regenerate the small nerve endings that are damaged. Patients may also receive other therapies known to increase balance, improve the brain-body connection and restore normal circulation and nerve function to the extremities.
- Results of neuropathy treatment: Benefits of receiving neuropathy treatment include reduced pain, cramps, spasms, tingling, numbness, tension, swelling and inflammation. Patients can achieve regulated hot, cold and restless sensations in addition to improved balance, coordination, range of motion, awareness of feet, sleep and blood flow to extremities. Treatment can also decrease a patient’s dependency on medications.
- Cost: It is challenging to evaluate the cost of treatment, as it will be impacted by many different things, including the patient’s specific disorder or disease, recovery time and insurance. After receiving peripheral neuropathy treatment, some patients experience improvement within two weeks, while others need many more treatments due to the severity of their condition.
Living with a neurological disorder can be incredibly difficult, as they impair daily functions and make numerous everyday tasks much more challenging. While there may not be a cure-all for many disorders, the professionals at Hiler Chiropractic & Neurology are here to help patients improve their quality of life with proven treatments and compassionate care. For more information about neurology in Naples, FL and treatments for neurological conditions, reach out to us today!